Sunday, June 19, 2016

19 June Leaving Skye for Inverness. Onward Nessie!

190616 Sunday


We had the last night in Lochview Chalet on the Isle with H sleeping between us, an interesting experience. From the kitchen window, I saw that the roll cloud was back after a day's disappearance. 

We checked out out early to head to Broadford for a planned Sunday worship service. 

We had a couple of photo moments along the way and missed many others because there was always some photo-worthy points at every km.

The church at Broadford belonged to the Church of Scotland. The service was based on Heb 3:1-6, about Jesus being greater than every person before Him because He was appointed by God. We were reminded not to  focus on things or the church but Jesus lest we get divided.

The members and visitors offered warm fellowship before they close for the day. I enjoyed the extended family of faith. Most we spoke to were from elsewhere; a couple from Glasgow with extended family all over Asia and a guy from Manchester who realized he was not the visitor from the farthest place that day. I even got the preacher to send a copy of the sermon by snail mail to Arlington Street in London.

At Kyleakin, we admired the Skye bridge from afar, grabbed a so-so lunch at Castle Moil restaurant and set off for the mainland via the bridge.

Not far down A87, we checked out Eilean Donan Castle, located at the wateredge , framed by water and hills, its broken castle looming mightily in the vicinity.

Driving along A87/A887 was very attention sapping as I kept pace with Pat’s driving progress. I yawned a million times trying to keep myself alert as my eyes followed Pat’s progress on road and on the navigator. It was extremely challenging despite not being the one to drive.

A82, the last stretch to Urquhart Castle was no piece of cake either. It was narrow, dual way and windy. I had probably had a fair bit of hairloss as Pat drove quicky round bends and dips.

Finally at 4pm, we reached Urguhart Castle overlooking Loch Ness. We enjoyed the castle grounds and the loch beneath our feet, though a persistant drizzle tried to dampen our spirits. To sum up our visits, we made quick purchases at the gift shop. Now almost 6pm, the café was closed and we had missed our tea time.

In 20 min and we found ourselves in Inverness. We dropped LH off at her B&B at Eskdale before crossing the river looking for ours. We had done some prior homework and knew that coming from town, Culliss House ( unmarked on the main road , GPS 57.471799, -4.223358 ) was located on our left after Beaufort Hotel. It shared the same address , 15 Culderthal Rd, and driveway as Cairn Medical Center. I had reserved it through booking dot com and it only required cash payment on arrival. 

The guest house has a tiny carpark. Host Joan was already expecting us and we went up to our room #1, a family room with generous toilet and 2 ‘cute’ enough beds.

After sorting out our things, we met up with LH for dinner.It was another epic failure ( Ash ) just like lunch with overpriced food cooked by amateurs. £100 was the most expensive lesson for us. Was there even a cook in Ash? We felt completely ripped off. What a waste of calories - on Father's Day at that! 

We retired back to our room after seeing LH off at the footbridge. If the rain should persist tomorrow, a change of plan would be needed so that we do not walk in the rain like today.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment